Monday 22 March 2010

Gaining Perspective!

Hiya,

Let me just explain the lack of blogs in the last few weeks. This Sunday (21st) was the one year anniversary of the attack at the pub and I guess I wasn't as over it as I thought. When I think of it I just get sooo angry and stew on it for hours and hours until there's nothing left inside and my mind and body are fatigued.

I know it's bad for me to carry so much anger around and intellectually I realise I should be over this, I wasn't that badly hurt (although part of the anger comes from the fact that I could have been injured much worse, I mean the guy hit me in the head with a stool - he could have killed me!) but I can't seem to let go of this incident.

Maybe part of the problem is that every time I look in the mirror I see my ugly eyebrow scar, which of course makes me think of that night.

But I am feeling better today which maybe due to the fact that I'm now past the one year benchmark, but it's more to do with the fact that I just saw an amazing video that totally put my little problems into perspective. Click below to see it. It's only short, about 5 mins and it is actually amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQPmY4nIjVE&feature=related

Nick Vujicic

Okay welcome back!! I hope you watched the video through and found it as inspirational as I did. Seriously I watched it and I started weeping like a baby. It's put my life into perspective. All of the anger (for now) has washed away and has been replaced by feelings of guilt and hope. Guilt because I'm so wrapped up in my problems that I kind of forget that there are people that have it so much worse than me and hope because if that man (Nick Vujicic) can find peace and happiness in his life then I'm sure I can find it in mine!

Here's what I'm going to do, on Friday I'm going to go to my GP and get information on therapy groups to help me get over the attack, and I'll also talk to her about the possibility of the NHS fixing up my scar. (I don't know if such a thing is possible, but seriously I have to get it off my face)

I realise that this blog isn't the most positive one in the world, but I feel like by writing about this I'm starting down the road to recovery. Also that video is very positive, so I'm sure this (just about) fits into Glass half full's mission statement!

Okay I'm going to stop rambling soon. I just want you to take away this positive thought of the day:

Even though you may want to move forward in your life, you may have one
foot on the brakes.

In order to be free, we must learn how to let go.
Release the hurt. Release the fear.

Refuse to entertain your old pain.
The energy it takes to hang onto the past is holding you back

from a new life. What is it you would let go of today?

Thanks for reading,

Peter xXx

1 comment:

  1. Hey Peter - Really, that scar is manly - you could say you got it whilst hunting down your dinner and you got attacked by a pack of marauding hyeenas....or some such thing and knowing you with your amazing sense of humour, you will come up with a much better story than that.
    The main thing is to move forward, deal with the past in the best way you can, and then move forward. I am sending you this gift in the hope it helps you figure out the way....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZru3_vygc0

    Great blog post - keep them coming!!!!
    Cathy :-)

    ReplyDelete