Saturday 27 March 2010

Mandela... not just a house in Peckham!

Hello,

Just thought I'd do another blog quickly, I don't have anything new going on in the last few days (well there are a few exciting things happening, but I'll write about those later when i can give it my full attention, right now I'm watching Harry Potter!!!)

I was told beyond all doubt that my last blog didn't belong on glass half full as it was too negative, I was going to delete it, but I'm keeping it up for now because I'm trying to be honest with my feelings. There's no point pretending that I'm perfectly happy now because I know that these hard times are going to make me stronger and happier in the future.

I wanted to talk today about Nelson Mandela.


He is a great inspiration to me as he is a man who has gone through some (seriously) tough times and came out of them greater than ever before. For those of you who don't know, he was imprisoned for twenty seven years over some political problems but when he was released he went on to become the president of South Africa!

Whenever we are feeling down and as if the odds are stacked against us we should remember Mandela...... set backs are temporary and if we persevere, success is inevitable.

Id like to share with you two of my favorite Mandela quotes. This first one represents what I was saying in a previous blog about the few drops of goodness:

During my lifetime I have dedicated myself to the struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die.

Remember South Africa is a country in political turmoil, torn apart by racial discrimination and hatred, but amongst it all there are people, like Mandela, who are willing to stand up for what is right. As long as there are people like him, I have hope that there can be a better future for all!

This next quote is the speech that he made when he was elected president after 27 years of hardship:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others!

Please, please remember this quote. You are all beautiful, special people, and my deepest wish is success and happiness for you!

Thank you for reading!
Love you all
Peter xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment